Monday, July 09, 2007

Phil's Server Tip Of The Day.


If a customer asks you what you like on the menu, mention the items you don't like first.

This gives you credibility in their eyes. They understand that you aren't just a shill for the restaurant. That you are actually interested in them enjoying their meal.

For example, the sangria at our place isn't very good. It comes from a box, and I don't like to serve it. If someone orders it, I tell them it comes from a box, and offer them a taste. If they like it fine, they can have it. But it does my tip no good serving items I don't like.

7 comments:

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

You are a pillar of the service community. I commend you your principals.

Geo said...

Ooh, I like this segment. More, please.

Unless, of course, the items you don't like are bullshit and you're just doing it to curry favor with the customer.

dirty said...

I pretty much only like bagels and soup...what do you recommend?

Anonymous said...

I too, never recommend the Sangria w/o a sample first. I also used to do this with our Wings...but they've gotten much better.

Phil said...

Flan - Thank you.

Geo - I am trying to curry favor, usually that leads to better tips.

Dirty - The soup.

Susan - I think they have gotten better too.

Valerie said...

I'm with Geo...more please.

Johnny Yen said...

I happened to have a Sangria sent back yesterday. When people ask me about it, I am blunt: "It's from a box." This usually disuades them.

I simply do not serve our chianti. After having it sent back a half dozen times or so, I just talk people out of it, and suggest other wines.